lunedì 17 novembre 2014

Mum of murdered schoolgirl hopes DNA tests will reveal killer's identity after 22 YEAR wait

  • By Craig Thompson

Sharon Henderson is preparing to meet with detectives after DNA tests were carried out on clothing belonging to 7-year-old daughter Nikki Allan

Murder: Sharon's daughter Nikki was stabbed to death in 1992
The mum of a murdered schoolgirl hopes new DNA evidence will reveal the identity of her daughter's killer after a 22 YEAR wait.
Sharon Henderson is preparing to meet with detectives after DNA tests were carried out on clothing belonging to daughter Nikki Allan, 7.

Nikki vanished after leaving her grandparents’ flat in Wear Garth, East End, on October 7, 1992.
Her shoes were discovered outside the derelict Exchange building a few hundred yards away the next morning, the Newcastle Chronicle reports.
Her body was found inside the building by a neighbour helping police with the search.
She had been left lying in a pool of blood. She had been stabbed 37 times in the chest.
Tragedy: Little Nikki vanished after leaving her grandparent's flat
Sharon, 47, of Ryhope, in Sunderland, told the Sunday Sun: “The police came and saw me the other day and said they would arrange a meeting in the next few weeks to discuss the DNA.
“I have also asked if we can launch a Christmas appeal for information.
“We have done many appeals over the years, including one most recently on Crimewatch, but we’ve never had a Christmas appeal and I’d like to do one this year.”

Should the tests fail to give police the evidence they so desperately need to solve what is one of Sunderland’s longest running unsolved murders, Sharon says she will not give up.
“I can’t stop but I’m hoping these results will answer some questions,” she said. “I’ve been waiting most of this year for them to come through.”
Hopes: Mum Sharon is hoping the DNA evidence will shine new light on the case
Earlier this year, Northumbria Police arrested Sunderland man Steven Grieveson, 47, on suspicion of Nikki’s murder. He was questioned and bailed but detectives later said his bail had been cancelled and he has faced no further current action.
Last year saw a resurgence of activity in the case after a Crimewatch reconstruction was shown on TV to mark the 21st anniversary of Nikki’s death.
Following the screening of the BBC programme, Northumbria Police detectives revealed they were investigating a series of new leads.
In 1993, George Heron, 24 at the time, was acquitted of Nikki’s murder by a jury at Leeds Crown Court in 1993.
Mr Justice Mitchell refused to allow certain tape recordings of Northumbria Police interviews with Mr Heron to be put before the jury. Consequently, the jury did not hear his admission on one recording that he killed Nikki.
The judge ruled that the evidence was inadmissible and criticised the police for ‘oppressive questioning’ and of misrepresenting evidence, charges the force denied.
Anyone who thinks they have information that could help detectives with inquiries is asked to contact police on 101 ext 69191.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento